In an Our Thoughts article, we listed 10 things we don’t miss when the school year ends and then realized that when our children are gone how we miss those same 10 things in some form or fashion. Here is our top 10 list again.
1. Grading papers
2. Writing out lesson plans
3. Adjusting lesson plans over & over
4. Wrestling with how to explain clearly concepts they could not understand
5. Butting heads over subjects of little interest
6. Explaining why we had to learn certain facts
7. Pushing to meet deadlines
8. When school & life collided
9. Worrying if they learned enough that year
10. Why? Why? Why?
What would your list include? Add to our list . . . . . .
1. When my 6th grader told me, “Mom, we don’t have to get this all done today!”
2. Sitting on the couch & reading aloud: Childhood of Famous American Series
3. Marking up the Tupperware to demonstrate liquid measurements
4. Field trips: planned & impromptu
5. Bike rides & walks during the day
6. NO homework!!!!!!!
7. Sending lunch up in a basket on a string so boys could eat lunch up in the tree
8. Hearing my Mother praise the virtues of homeschooling
9. Working through a very middle school moment without all the peer pressure
10. Watching my younger son learn to not panic at timed reading tests